We strive to form a closer union among women of color in education for the purpose of fostering intellectual and professional growth, becoming
knowledgeable of issues and laws impacting education and serving as leaders in the field.
We have five core values that are the foundation of all that we do. They are knowledge, leadership, networking, unity, & service. Learn more about our beliefs for each value below.
The National Board and all local chapters of BWEA work to
organize activities with the following goals and objectives:
• To form a closer union among Black Women in education
• To foster intellectual and professional growth and develop-
• To assist Black women to become knowledgeable of issues,
trends, and laws impacting education
• To develop action and achievement oriented Black women
• Black women will develop sound thinking patterns in their
own minds and in the minds of the children they teach, with
an understanding that education is the most valuable tool
they can attain to enrich their lives.
• Black women will attend workshops in preparation for up-
• Black women will network and maintain contact with other
professional organizations, emphasizing commonalities and